A fiber optic patch cord, also known as fiber jumper or fiber patch cord, terminated with fiber optic connectors on both cable ends, used to achieve wired connections between devices. Only one end that can attach to fiber connectors is called Fiber Pigtail. Fiber patch cables, namely fiber optic connectors access to the fiber optical modules, have variety types and can not interoperate with each other.
Fiber optic patch cables are divided into different types based on connector types. In the following is detailed description of several common optical connectors used in network.
1. FC fiber optic patch cord: Using a metal sleeve to strengthen exterior, is a screw type connection. Commonly used in ODF (Optical Distribution Frame) side.
2. SC fiber patch cord: Connect to GBIC optical modules, is rectangular shell, is with a locking tab on the cable termination. It is a push and pull type fiber optic connector, without rotation. Mostly used on router switches.
3. ST fiber patch cord: Commonly used in fiber optic patch panels, rounded shell, is with straight tip type terminations. For 10Base-F connections, usually use ST fiber connectors, which is commonly used in fiber optical distribution frames.
4. LC fiber patch cable: Connect to the SFP modules, is a push and latch structure, it adopts modular jack (RJ) latch mechanism which is easily to operate. Commonly used in routers.
5. MT-RJ fiber jumpers: MT-RJ features two-fiber connection, that is to say, two fiberglass connection within one MT-RJ fiber optic connector; another special point is MT-RJ is with plastic housing and plastic ferrule.
ST and SC connectors are commonly used in the general network. ST head is inserted into the post-rotation half with a bayonet mount, the disadvantage is easily broken; SC connector plugged directly, very easy to use, the disadvantage is easy to swap out; FC connector is general used in telecommunications network, there is a nut screwed onto the adapter, the advantage is a solid, anti-dust, the disadvantage is that installation is a little longer. MTRJ fiber optic patch cable consists of two high-precision plastic molded connector and cable. External parts of connectors are precision plastic parts, including push-pull plug locking mechanism, applies to indoor applications in the telecommunications and data network system.
There are variety types of fiber connectors, in addition to the five types described above, there are ST, MU and so on.
At the label of fiber optic pigtail connector, we can often see the “FC / PC”, “SC / PC” and so on, but they mean what?
1.The front part of “/” means the connector type of fiber pigtail.
“SC” connector is a standard square connector, using engineering plastics, high temperature resistance, not easily oxidized. Transmission equipment sidelight interface is generally with SC connector.
“LC” connector is similar shape with SC connector and smaller than SC connector.
“FC” connector is a metal joint, usually used in the ODF side, the metal connectors pluggable times is more than plastic.
2 followed “/” means fiber optic connector section process, refers to grind mode.
“PC” is the most widely used in the telecom operator’s devices, the joint cross-section is flat.
The attenuation “UPC” is smaller than “PC”, generally used for devices with special needs, some foreign manufacturers’ ODF internal fiber jumpers use FC / UPC, mainly to improve the indicators of ODF device itself.
In addition, “APC” is more often used in broadcasting and early CATV, whose pigtail head use angled face, can improve the quality of television signals, mainly because TV signals are analog optical modulation, when the joint coupling plane is vertical, the reflected light is back along the original path.
Due to the uneven distributed fiber index will once again return to the coupling surface, although energy is very small but due to the analog signal is not completely eliminate the noise, so it is equivalent a weak signal with a delay superimposed on the original clear signal, shown on the screen is ghosting. Fiber Pigtail head with angle can let the reflected light can not return along the original path. General digital signal generally does not have this problem.